Wednesday, April 21, 2004

 
Couldn't they have had turn off your television week in mid-summer when the only shows on television are Big Brother and For Love or Money? Then I may have participated.

The sponsors of this week, April 19-25, is a non-profit called TV-Turnoff network that "encourages children and adults to watch much less television in order to promote healthier lives and communities." In honor of this week, the non-profit encourages us to "take a seven-day break from TV and reclaim time to talk, play, read, exercise, create, dream -- and live!" They also give a list of reasons why TV is evil. It undermines family life, it makes people fat, it serves a detriment to children's academic achievement, etc.

When I was nine my mom gave me a long lecture on how TV shrinks the brain and then forbid me from watching more than 2 hours of TV a night. Now I use all that extra brain volume to write about television. Ironic, no?






Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?