Saturday, April 10, 2004

 
From tvguide.com

APOCALYPSE NOW: Fox's unsightly (yet uproarious) makeover saga, The Swan, is looking good in Nielsen's eyes. Wednesday's premiere attracted 15 million viewers and retained nearly 80 percent of its huge American Idol lead-in. By comparison, The O.C. and 24 have been holding on to just 50 percent of Idol's audience. ABC's latest Bachelor edition, meanwhile, got off to a so-so start with 11 million viewers.

This is so depressing. I don't understand how people could prefer a reality show about plastic surgery to great scripted dramas. Not to sound alarmist, but it does feel like more and more hours are being dedicated to reality shows. And who can blame the networks, if that is what people wants. It isn't that I am entirely immune to the questionable charms of reality tv. As a TV lover, I have clearly watched my share. But I simply cannot get excited about them. I would never run home and make the sure the Apprentice is taped. I can miss an episode of the Bachelor and not care less. Even stuff like Queer Eye I can watch or miss, doesn't really matter. But take scripted shows and I will cancel social engagements, skip homework (when I had homework), ignore phone calls and ruin my life in countless other ways in order to watch. oh well, if this pattern continues at least I won't fail out of law school.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?