Monday, June 14, 2004

 

Dan Morris Can't Read Anna Karenina

A few years ago, Dan and I got into an argument (a friendly, theoretical one, don't worry) about Oprah's book club. It was right after Jonathan Franzen had publicly refused to be part of the Book Club, and so Oprah had to take The Corrections off her list. Dan said that he could never read a book that Oprah had chosen because people shouldn't be taking their reading cues from Oprah. Plus, if I remember correctly, I think he really hates the idea that when Oprah suggests a book, sales of the book shoot up, and people with no interest in books are reading it. I, on the other hand, think bringing literature to the masses is a great thing. I also felt that one day Oprah was going to choose a book that Dan really wanted to read, but stubbornly, Dan won't be able too. Well, I hope he has already read his Tolstoy, because according to the Daily News, America's favorite book club leader just added him to the list.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?