Tuesday, February 21, 2006

 

Junebug

So I remember some review of Junebug (but I can't remember which one, I hate when that happens) saying that the saddest thing about Junebug is that no one will be able to see that gem of a movie. Well, I saw June Bug this weekend, and I could very well have not seen this movie. It is not that i did not like the movie, I liked it well enough. And it is not that the performances were as great as everyone says they were, they totally were. But I don't think I got a thing out of the movie. It was not good in a way that made me feel really happy or that said something about the world that spoke to me. I did not find it particularly interesting. And granted it was good to see that Ben McKenzie could act, but really this is something that annoys me, why does Ben McKenzie have to be in a movie to prove they can act? He does a really believable job on the OC. He is like 28 years old and plays a 17 year old. Plus, he is really good at conveying the guy who always feels like he has to save everyone. Anyway, the point is that the OC should be enough. Thinking otherwise is just tv prejudice.

As for Amy Adams, she is great. But here is the thing about great performances, I cannot really enjoy them unless i am engaged in the context. I feel the same way about a person with a great voice or a great dancer or something, unless there is something more to involve me, some narrative, I simply don't care. Ironically, this seeing all these oscar movies was supposed to give me just such a context (competition) but even so, I am more likely to prefer performances in movies I really like.

Comments:
But the outdoors are beautiful, and either way, a good outdoorsperson practices Leave No Trace (LNT) camping. Communing with nature, man- you don't need an SUV to do it. Plus, in a national park for example, if it weren't for conservationists driving in there, it would be used for logging and whatnot.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?