Wednesday, February 22, 2006

 

Mrs. Henderson Presents

I saw Mrs. Henderson presents last night and I enjoyed it. I was not expecting to because Manohla Dargis gave it a mostly bad review in the New York Times. (if you have never noticed, Dargis never gives good or bad reviews, she just gives reviews that are mostly good, or mostly bad). Now, it is not that i steal all my opinions from the New York Times, but when it comes to movies that are not bad romantic comedies (which I almost always enjoy), if the Times gives it a bad review, I probably won't like it. (if the Times gives it a good review, i I might still not like it, see Junebug, or if it gives it a so so review, I might still love it: see Walk the Line). Anyway, what I did not realize was that Mrs. Henderson was closer to the romantic comedy genre and so I was bound to enjoy it.

First thing first, I think i have to amend my statement yesterday about the relationship between the performance and the movie. In this case, the performances of Judi Dench and Bob Haskins made the movie. It would have been a totally mediocre movie if the two of them were not so fantastic. (i mean really the plots drags and not much happens) When Dench got nomiminated for an oscar, I was totally annoyed, I mean does she get oscars just for showing up? But really, she deserves as oscar just for showing up. She is funny, and beautiful and charming, and of-course, all in that awesome British that.

Besides that, sure, the movie is a bit heavy handed (very overly sentimental) but so in Crash. And at least Mrs. Henderson Presents has song and dance and boobies and Bob Haskin's penis (at least I think it is his, it might be a double for all I know). Crash just has a lot of people whining and being racist. (that movie has not aged well in my brain).

Anyway, Dargis ends her review with the following statement:

Watching this reasonably funny, professionally assembled calculation is a little like snuggling up in front of the television with a mug of hot cocoa and a warm blanket. Those who prefer their drinks and recreation spiked would do well to look elsewhere.

Well, um, sitting in front of the tv with hot chocolate is among my favorite things in the world. So maybe Dargis' review is completely on target, I am the best simpleton for this movie.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?