Sunday, March 05, 2006

 

should win -- best supporting actress

Didn't see North Country. Sorry Charlize Theron.

4. Judi Dench -- god, she was so good, she literally made the movie. But the movie was not all that good, and it seems as if she could do this stiff but witty British character in her sleep.

3. Reese Witherspoon -- I loved Walk the Line. It is on my list of movies that as I was watching them, I never wanted them to end, and Witherspoon was a big reason for that. However, as I know I have explained before, good acting for me is whether I can forget that this is so and so and playing a part and I just think it is a character. I never forgot that this Reese Witherspoon, hollywood actress from the south with two kids who is usually blonde, playing her hero. It took away from the performance for me.

2. Felicity Huffman. She plays a man on the verge of surgery to change her sex. However, Stanley/Bree has been taking hormones for months now in preparation of surgery. The point is I had absolutely no preconceived notion of what a man on the verge of being a woman is supposed to act or look like. However, whether true to life or not, she created a character that was totally unique. But the scene that really got to me was when at the end, after her surgery, she is talking to her son, and she tells him that he has to keep his feet off her coffee table and she gets a little smile on her face. She just seems a little more like a woman and a little more confident. And subtle but just perfect transformation is why I think Huffman deserves all the praise she is getting. Plus, dude she was on Sports Night!

1. Keira Knightly. And yet, I think Knightly should win this. Knightly took on an impossible task. She took on Elizabeth Bennet. People adore this book. They adore the BBC mini-series version. Knightly had everything to lose. Screw up even a little and people would hate her in the movie. And instead she rocked it. She was the perfect Elizabeth. The perfect age for the part, the perfect mixture of humor and seriousness. If Jennifer Ehle had not already preempted the field of Elizabeth Bennets in my imagination, she would totally have it. But I imagine for the next generation of girls, when they read Pride and Prejudice, and they should, she will be who they will be imagining. And all the better for them/

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?