Wednesday, August 23, 2006

 

The New Television Season -- Vanished

Here is one of my problems with television criticism: the critics have to judge a show for a readers based only on one or (maybe two episodes). And I think that one of the great things about tv is that it is this ever evolving story, and so a show may take a while to find its groove. You see that even with popular shows, critics were a lot more excited about Entourage the second as opposed to the first season. But what can they do? It is a difficult medium to criticize in the traditional sense (that of books and movies and plays).

So despite my opposition to this method of criticism, I thought I would experiment and see how well I can judge shows based on their first episode. And thus we have my new project. I will watch every pilot episode of a fictional show on network tv (a girl needs parameters) and then well write about what i thought. This is good. I am reinserting purpose into my blog. You would not want it to flounder.

For the most part, none of this will come up until Mid-September when the new season really starts. But Fox has to start part of its season now because of those pesky baseball playoffs. So Monday night, I watched Vanished. And well, it seems like my project may be a failure even before it begins in earnest. I just have nothing to say about the show. I mean it is fine. A senator's wife goes missing, and then it appears that she had a bunch of secrets, and so it is a giant who done it. And I tend to like who done its, cause I always want to know who did it. At the same time, this story managed not to be particularly compelling. The dialogue was pretty awful. And they were all just such stock characters. Maybe I would watch it again if I had nothing going on in my life, but as it is, it does not make the cut.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?