Friday, September 29, 2006

 

Ugly is the New Beautiful!

So I watched the series premiere of Ugly Betty last night, and I found the first show of the season that I am actually excited about. It was really really sweet and moving and funny. And it was so knowingly campy and over the top that it was totally awesome. It reminded me a little of my reaction to the first episode of the OC: "This show is so absurd but oh my god, I love it." This all leaves me a bit concerned about where it is going. It could continue down this road and be great, or it could go so over the top as to be annoying.

The show stars America Ferrera, who seems to be widely regarded as wonderful. She was in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. A movie that, as you can imagine, I enjoyed immensely. Anyway, I am hoping she is really cool. As in, I hope that she totally embraces this role and does not turn into one of those actors who has to constantly remind us that she is nothing like her character. I remember when i was kid every time i would read anything about Jaleel White, there would be something about how he is nothing like Urkel and how is actually really attractive and loves basketball. And then there is Bob Saget, who at every turn has to remind us that he is nothing like the good dad we saw on Full House. See The Aristocrats. I understand both characters fear of never being able to play another role in their life because they are so associated with this character, but honestly, if you reach the point where your character is so iconic that it is haunting you, the character has probably made you a shit load of money and you should stop whining. Either way, Ferrara seems like a much better actress than those two men and this won't happen to her at all.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?