Monday, October 09, 2006

 

New Season--Friday Night Lights

I love sports movies. I love the way there is a clear climax where all the drama can be worked out in single scene. And I love the scene itself, because sports are so physical, and the climax is the physical manifistation of all that has happened in the story. It is also kind of like the final confrontation in a thriller but minus the violence, and violence in not my thing. (I saw the Departed this weekend, and i conveniently brought a sweater that covered my eyes for much of the movie but more on that in another Departed specific post.) I also just love sports generally. So needless to say, I loved Friday Night Lights. I mean football...in Texas, what could be wrong with it? For me, the show has only one flaw. Namely, I cannot see why I am supposed to like the coach. Kyle Chandler seems nice enough, but there was nothing about him to make me care.

Sadly, the show did terribly in the ratings. It was the worst rated drama premiere of the 2006-2007 season. From the tv column:

NBC noted that its football drama finished first in its 8 p.m. hour among young men. But, in truth, more 18-to-34-year-old males were attracted to the combo of ABC's ballroom dancing and the CW's "Gilmore Girls."

In its review, trade paper Variety, which tends to review TV shows based not only on aesthetics but also on commercial viability, speculated that " 'Friday Night Lights' ultimately feels like one of those family programs middle America and conservatives pine for that too few of them actually bother to watch -- a portrait of decent, God-fearing folks wringing joy from America's game as an escape from their hardscrabble lives."

It is still going to be broadcast tomorrow. But after that it might very well get cancelled. So you know catch it before it is gone.

In other news, Smith has basically been cancelled. Good think I saw and did not like it before this happened.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?