Saturday, January 20, 2007

 

Suspending Disbelief

So when it first came out that that T.R. Knight (George on Grey's Anatomy) and Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Houser) were gay, there were several articles wondering whether we (society) have reached the point where we have no problem watching actors that we know are gay as romantic figures. You know, were the days of a Rock Hudson having to hide his sexuality to be a romantic hero over?

I think because i have actively thought about it (and not just now, sexuality and hollywood actors is not an esoteric topic, and I spend a great deal of time thinking about cultural assumptions and how they affect me), it has not affected my viewing of Grey's Anatomy at all the T.R. Knight is gay. It has not changed my perception of the character or his romantic inclincations.

But you know what is driving me crazy? Burke and George's friendship. I can't buy it anymore. I know what Washington (Burke) said about Knight, and I simply cannot see them in the same room without getting upset and uncomfortable. How can you have such an intimate conversation with him George? You know what he said? And also how you can you believe his lines about science ending and faith beginning when he is such an angry, mean human being.

I was surprised because after all my thinking about my ability to suspend disbelief when watching tv shows, it actually only happens in those areas where I have thought about the differences between reality and television head on. There are still areas lurking where my knowledge of celebrities invades what I watch on screen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?