Thursday, March 29, 2007

 

TV with Bill Clinton

I thought this was awesome. It was on women's wear daily dot com. I don't usually visit this website, but i was sent there by the WaPo's Celebritology.

TABLOID GLARE: Twenty-first-century Americans may have an unquenchable thirst for the latest celebrity dish. But former president Bill Clinton is not among them. "I think there's something wrong with modern culture if Britney Spears — who I happen to like — can't have a personal crisis without having it splashed all over the tabloids," he griped. Clinton, himself one of the bigger stars in the celebrity constellation, took exception to the media's ever-expanding eye into people's private lives Friday in a talk to about 1,000 media types assembled by TV Land for the upfronts.

The former president said his own tastes in entertainment run more to Fox's "24" ("even if it's on that uber right-wing channel"), ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" and ABC's "Boston Legal." Of the latter, Clinton chuckled: "The chemistry between William Shatner and James Spader is something to behold every week."

People talk about having a couple of beers with the ex-president. But you know what I would love, to sit down with him and talk tv. (There could be beer there, maybe something sweet for me like Raspberry Cider.) Anyway, I wonder if Clinton really watches these shows or if he was choosing it to be hip with the TV Land crowd. He had to choose shows that we popular enough so he seemed normal and one of the people, but not shows that people universally think of as trash. So he chose Emmy winning shows.

This got me thinking, if I were president what shows would I tell the public I watched. Well, I would have to drop anything on the CW. It is not that i think those shows are bad, but once you mention you watch the CW, no one takes you seriously, except for Everybody Hates Chris, that is ok to look because people love Chris Rock. I think I would have to disavow all reality except for Top Chef and Project Runway, those are ok reality. However, I might want to avoid cable tv entirely because there are still many homes without it.

I think I would choose Heroes, Friday Night Lights, and Ugly Betty. Those are critically acclaimed, popular shows. Well, Friday Night Lights has terrible ratings. OH MY GOD, if I were a beloved ex-president I could announce publicly that I like a floundering show like Friday Night Lights and people might start watching it. I want to be a beloved ex-president.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?