Saturday, July 21, 2007

 

Judd Apatow and all the famous people I have seen in New York

I believe I may have celebrity-spotted Judd Apatow, a week ago (Thursday July 19) in the Jamba Juice on Houston and Mercer. I am not entirely sure it was him. I think it was him because his hair and beard were much like they are in the picture at this url.
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/4325/JuddApatow_Grani_7280943_400.jpg. Which is to say he had dark longish hair and a beard. He walked in with another nerdy looking Jewish guy but then said hi to some 6 foot tall beautiful woman who had no business talking to just a regular guy. But then again Judd Apatow is 40, and this guy looked like early 30s to me. Also, doesn't Apatow live in LA, if he was visiting New York, why would he be in a random neighborhood jamba juice? and finally, I kept staring at him trying to figure it out and he noticed and did not seem aloof. Most celebrities I see seem so used to be looked at that they don't seem to notice or if they do, roll their eyes and look away.

Anyway, if this was a true celebrity spotting, it might be my best one yet. There is something poignant now about the activity since I only have 10 or so more days as a New Yorker. So here they are...they were supposed to be in order I thought was most exciting to least, but blogger won't let me cut and paste inside a post so here they are in order i remembered them.

Alan Rickman -- A couple of months ago I was walking down McDougal towards Bleeker (to my then favorite pizza place which has since closed down because there was a shooting there) and suddenly look up at this man who is looking at me meanly. And I am like: seen that mean face before, oh my god it is Snape.

Adam Brody -- restaurant on like 22 or 23 between 5th and 6th somewhere. It was during the first season of the OC so it was very exciting. It retrospect it seems kind of lame.

Paul Rudd -- on the subway in college. At the time I thought he was the best looking person I had ever seen in person. I saw him again recently at the Of Motreal Karoke show (seeing celebs at shows where their friends are performing does not count) and I no longer thought so.

Julianna Margulies --3rd and Laguardia, like 3 days after I saw Snape. She seemed very serene.

Harold from Top Chef -- all the time. His restaurant is around here.

Daniel of Project Runway -- In Grey Dog. I saw someone actually go up and ask to take a picture. It seemed very ballsy. I just stared.

Julia Stiles -- University and something, talking on her cell. She is cute but she looks like any other girl living in the village who would be working for PR, or an I-Bank or something. But she looks normal not like someone you would instantly hate.

Milo Ventimiglia -- this was last year, pre-heroes, but post Gilmore Girls, post break up with actress Rory. I saw him at the Bleeker street 6 subway station. He has black hair and was wearing all black, but has blue eyes so he was actually quite striking. I was like oh, good looking guy. But short. Then I did a double take being like...huh and then turned away, and then did a triple take. I kept waiting for someone else to go up and ask for a pic or something. Or at least for other people to be starting. But that is what made it so wierd, it was like no else recognized him. I, however, as a once adamant Jess fan was very excited.

John Waters -- Walking down 6th ave saw a strange looking, tall wiry man. Kept walking. Then got pretty excited.

Jonathan Taylor Thomas -- My first ever celebrity spotting of a celebrity who did not go to Columbia. (Those don't count so they are not mentioned here). I had bizzarely decided to walk from my job which was south of the former world trade center (this was in early october of 2001) until Columbia, which is at 116th. Around Tribeca, I spotted JTT. He was racing somewhere and was very short. We were the only people on the street and i was looking pretty intently at him and he did not seem to notice. That is how I was certain he was famous.

Ryan Hansen -- He plays Dick Casablancas on Veronica Mars. If you still don't who that is, I urge you to go rent the first season of that show right now! You will thank me. I went to see the drowsy Chaperone and as I was leaving, there he was. We were sitting near the very top and so I was surprised to see an arguably famous person nearby. He was wearing this scarf around his neck that his fictional alter ego would make fun of him for

David Schwimmer -- In Murrays Cheese, a great cheese place in the village, on Monday. I know that this is after my possible Apatow sighting but I started this post Sunday night and I know for sure it was Schwimmer. He walked in and kind of stood by the counter and the guy was like oh hi and then he got a bunch of personal service in the cracker section. He was a big guy. I don't just mean tall, built too. I always perceived Ross as being a skinny, nerdy Jewish guy so I never realized how big the actor really was.

Comments:
re: Apatow, you'll enjoy this! "I'll wait till you get it and then steal it from you"

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2002/03/0079095
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?