Saturday, July 07, 2007

 

Live Earth

I spent all day watching Live Earth (while studying for the bar). Rravo had it on all day. And in between the performances that they selected to show they had celebrities doing 30 second spots about what you can do to "join the movement" (turn off the lights when leaving the room! recycle!). Each of these ads and every commercial break ended with the letters SOS and then the two Ss would disappear to reveal a sphere (globe-like) and then the morse code distress code, three dots, three lines, and then three dots). This goes on all day.

Now I know all day that Police in slated to close the New York concert, but it is not until they hit the stage at 11 that I am like, wait, don't the Police have that song about sending out an SOS because they are on an island or something and this is a message in a bottle. And I am like, no it can't be, the whole theme of this show cannot exist so that the Police can appropriately end with that song. But sure enough, at 11:23, Sting (god, he is still hot) invites John Mayer and Kanye West on stage and they all sing that song.

But here was my thought, besides shock that i had not figured it out eariler, I know that the Police just reunited or whatever, but were they really so big that the whole day had to be dedicated to their song? I mean Madonna closed the show in London. Couldn't the show be named after one of her songs? say (Organic) Material girl. She could have ended the show in London singing it along with other London performers the Pussycat Dolls and the Beastie Boys. I would have found it funny although I guess anything that is not the bar is funny at this point.

Another highlight of my Live Earth watching was mixing up Keith Urban with Toby Keith. I read the list of people performing in New York and i was like wow, I did not think Toby Keith would play a concert for the environment or one organized by Al Gore. I guess people are interesting and surprising. But then I realized I was wrong and my optimism about people's ability to surprise me was shot down. It has been a tough week with Paris Hilton, and Scooter Libby and not Toby Keith letting me down.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?