Wednesday, August 01, 2007

 

Harry Potter -- BE WARNED. I SPOIL THE BOOK

The book after the point they get captured by snatchers and brought to the Malfoy's Manor was great. And the first hundred pages until and including the ministary break in that was pretty good too. But there is that whole section in the middle that I actually found really hard to get through.

The book turned into a certain kind of book that I can't handle, usually the imprisonment book. I read Bernard's Malamud's Fixer in high school and I got through it but barely. I could not handle the page after page of description of a person's constant fear and misery. I get too emotionally involved and then too upsetl. I felt the same way through the prison parts of Waiting for the Barbarians. (Both those books were read for school). And now Harry Potter Book 7 can be added to the list. In other books, Rowling would intersperse among the fear of you know who scenes with quidditch or classes or something like that. Here, all there was for like 300 pages was Harry and Hermoine and Ron being scared. There was no break from it and it was really hard to feel something other than just terrible for them.

But the pay-off was incredible. Once they got to Hogwarts and found out that all their old friends had taken up the fight, I started to cry. It was really touching. I agree with the critics who say that Snape should have been in the novel more. I also wish there has been more with Ron and Hermoine and Harry and Ginny. Because apparently I really wanted to be reading a romance novel, Rowling would have Ron/Hermoine seens and Rowling would write something like "and Harry averted his eyes" and I would be like "No Harry. Don't avert I want to know what happens next."

I liked the idea of the epilogue but I wish there were more details. I mean I wanted to know what happened to all the characters, what their jobs were, who was minister of magic, etc.

Comments:
I just randomly came across your blog and, being the Harry Potter fan that I am and seeing that you are as well, thought you might like to read this, if you haven't already: http://the-leaky-cauldron.org/2007/7/30/j-k-rowling-web-chat-transcript

It's an interview with J. K. Rowling where she tells more about the books and the futures of the characters. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?